Skip to main content

2. pasta all'amatriciana

pasta all'amatriciana

I had no idea what to make for dinner but as I was driving home, I was listening to the Spilled Milk Podcast, episode 316: Pasta Widths, and I was convinced to make the Bucatini all'Amatriciana recipe that Matthew Amster-Burton was talking about. I figured I had most of the ingredients in the pantry. Turns out I did. This was one of those dishes that came together super fast and that my 3-year-old daughter and husband both said was super delicious. We'll be adding this to the regular rotation of pasta.

pasta all'amatriciana

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon (15ml) extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 yellow onion, diced
  • 4 ounces diced pancetta - I use Citterio Pancetta Cubetti from Trader Joe's 
  • Pinch red pepper flakes
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) dry white wine
  • 1 (28-ounce; 425g) can whole peeled tomatoes, preferably San Marzano - I use Cento
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/2 pound (450g) dried pasta - I use fusilli 
  • 1/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, plus more for serving

Directions:
  1. In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion, pancetta, and pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until lightly browned about 5 minutes. Add wine and cook, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan, until nearly evaporated, about 3 minutes.
  2. Add tomatoes and use a spoon to crush them up. Bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Meanwhile, boil pasta in salted water until just shy of al dente, about 1 minute less than the package recommends. Using tongs, transfer pasta to sauce, along with 1/4 cup pasta cooking water. Cook over high heat, stirring quickly until pasta is al dente and sauce has thickened and begins to coat noodles. Remove from heat, add cheese, and stir quickly to incorporate. Season to taste with more salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Serve right away, passing more cheese at the table. 
The original recipe is from Serious Eats

Comments