Skip to main content

Photo of the day: The Squirrel

Once upon a Monday morning, in the kitchen I sat sorting,
Tasks productive, needed, boring, penning lists out, what a bore,
As I went on with my mapping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at the kitchen door.
Silly wind at bushes, I thought, no one's at the kitchen door.
Through the door glass, I see no more.

Back toward the counter turning, all my thoughts within me stirring,
Soon again I heard a tapping somewhat louder than before.
'Surely,' said I, 'surely that is something at my roofline gutter,
Let me see then, what this is, and this mystery explore.
I climbed the stairs up to the office, and saw the view of nothing more -
But no, still I heard tapping more.

From the roof there came a stirring, then, with an incessant chirping,
I brought my face up to the window and saw nothing, like before.
I sunk down at the desk to typing an email that turned into griping,
Muttering, concentration lost, the tapping grew louder than before,
I flung open the window, and poked my head out to explore,
'How could I not know this!' here I swore!

Here I saw the culprit waiting, friend or fiend! I wondered, staring,
Here upon the rooftop edging, tapping, tapping as before.
Caged and furious, panicked and tumbling, growling and teeth baring,
A squirrel in the trap set in the morning, whimpering as if to implore
'Let me out you evil woman!' I snapped a photo of this poor
thing and sent it to my husband.  Nothing more.

the squirrel
inspired by Tuscan Whole Milk Gallon

Comments