Skip to main content

champagne thursday

zooey deschanel in failure to launch
It's been dry January for 24 days now.  But, I'm officially off work now for the rest of my four day weekend.  I can't think of a better way to celebrate.

We're headed to Portland, Oregon for a break from the things we always need to do.  It's been a long, long time since we've had a weekend away.  Now that I think about it, I don't remember the last weekend away.  At first I thought maybe it was last winter, but now I'm not so sure.  It may have actually been our last vacation in October 2011.  Oh my god.  We need it as much as we deserve it.  Our kitchen remodel sucked every spare second (and spare dollar) out of us for an entire year.  That actually makes me feel kind of sick.  Further, G and I only have Saturday's off together.  I work Fridays, he works Sundays.  A quick escape has to be planned out in advance, and neither of us are good at planning.  If someone else wants to plan out my vacation for me, I'll take it.  I realize the interwebs have made things cheaper (relatively) and easier (relatively) to plan, unless you don't like planning.  As you may already know, I have trouble making decisions especially faced with too many options, and by the way, the internet has a lot of options to choose from.  I believe the technical term is decision fatigue.  Add in the fact that vacations, even small weekends away cost a bit of money and I/we become seriously immobile.  For example, I had a 14 day trial membership at the gym that I have decided to join despite the yearlong commitment (I'm married so you can't say I'm non-committal).  My key fob to get into the gym stopped working on Sunday but my yoga instructor let me in anyway.  Since then I haven't been back because I knew that I would be away this weekend and I might as well save a few dollars. Yes, it's ridiculous.  I'm filled with ridiculous rationalizations for doing foolish things.

Perhaps I should add that to my list of resolutions:

Just do it!  (yes, Nike owns that, but it sounds better than "take action", "leap in", or "make a fucking decision already, jeesh!")

Anyway, we're breaking dry January for this weekend only.  And I'll be tacking a few days on into February.  Perhaps I'll all it Boringly Sober February.  No it doesn't rhyme.  Deal with it.

kisses and champagne,

S

P.S.  Amid Privilege wrote an awesome post on not drinking so much.  Go now, read it.

Comments